NRA Action Pistol
NRA Action Pistol competition at Aurora Gun Club consists of four events of 48 rounds each, for a total of 192 rounds. Each event consists of four strings at distances ranging from 10 to 50 yards, shot against set times. Minimum allowable caliber is 9mm, with popular choices being 9mm, .40, .45, .38 Super, and .38 Special. Centerfire ammunition must make 120,000 power factor, calculated by multiplying bullet weight in grains by velocity in feet per second. There is also a .22 Rimfire class, which obviously does not have to meet the minimum power factor.
There are currently 17 different events listed in the NRA Action Pistol rulebook. Here at AGC we shoot the Practical, Falling Plate, Barricade, and Speed Barricade events. The courses are revolver neutral, meaning the shooter is not disadvantaged using a revolver as two, four, and six shots are the round counts. There are mandatory reloads after six rounds during the 12-round Speed Barricade stages.
The Practical event is fired from 10, 15, 25, and 50 (yes, 50) yards, from 3 seconds up to 15 seconds.
The Falling Plate event is fired from 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards, from 6 to 9 seconds. (FYI, the six plates are each eight inches in diameter.)
The Barricade (from 5 to 8 seconds) and Speed Barricade (from 13 to 19 seconds) events are fired from 10, 15, 25, and 35 yards.
All shooting is from a holstered starting position, hands above shoulders or palms on the barricades. Basic equipment requirements are:
- A proper, safe gun handling and shooting mindset.
- Eye and hearing protection.
- A safe, serviceable handgun, minimum caliber 9mm. Optics are allowed.
- 192 rounds of ammunition, extra is suggested.
- A safe holster that covers the trigger guard and retains the gun during normal activities. (A dropped loaded gun is a match disqualification.) Shooting from a concealment carry is discouraged. That’s what IDPA is for.
- Minimum four hi-cap magazines (12+ rounds) or eight single stack magazines, but an extra or two are suggested.
- Minimum eight revolver speed loaders, or a speed loader and loading block. Again, extra are suggested.
- Belt magazine or speed loader holsters, for the mandatory speed reloads on the Speed Barricade are encouraged (but you can stuff them in your belt.)